The mayor of Nice, Christian Estrosi, has again criticised Monaco, and Italy, for not imposing more stringent health measures during the ongoing pandemic.
“It’s simple, we are on the border with Italy and Monaco, with whom I have good relations but who do not apply our sanitary rules. So you have, 20 kilometres from Nice, a state with shops and the restaurants are open and people say to themselves: we are going to have a good time,” Estrosi said as recently as Wednesday January 6, in an interview with Liberation.
However, Monaco introduced a stipulation from January 2 that only Monaco residents and employees can eat in restaurants in the Principality, and this is being enforced by restaurants themselves. Estrosi welcomed the move at the time on Twitter.
On New Year’s Eve, French clients were able to come to Monaco to dine in restaurants provided they had a hotel reservation.
Since then the Monaco authorities have said that cross-border travel should be avoided and working from home encouraged for employees who normally commute from Nice.
FILE PHOTO: Christian Estrosi