The UK Foreign Office has reached out to both Monaco and Croatia in the case of Jonathan Taylor, who has been stranded in Croatia for almost five months after being held on an Interpol warrant issued by Monaco.
The former lawyer, while working for the company in Monaco, exposed hundreds of millions of euros in bribes paid by Single Buoy Moorings. The two countries should “consider” protecting him as a whistleblower, the Foreign Office said.
A junior minister, Wendy Morton, “spoke with and sought assurances from the Croatian State Secretary for European Affairs and the Monegasque Foreign Minister that both authorities are giving full consideration” to what protection Mr Taylor should be provided with as a whistleblower, the Ministry said on Friday.
The move represents a change of heart by the UK authorities, which had previously said that there was no evidence that the charges of bribery and corruption alleged by Monaco prosecutors were linked to the Single Buoy Moorings saga.
A half-hour debate in the House of Commons on November 9 would appear to have brought the attention of the Monaco authorities to the wider implications of the case. The Monaco prosecutor’s office has had nothing to say on the matter.
PHOTO: Jonathan Taylor Supplied