According to reporting by Monaco Matin, the opening day of a high-profile attempted murder trial in Monaco was marked by emotional testimony and a striking admission from the accused, who told the court he must “pay” for his actions.
Jean-Charles Mulini, a 37-year-old Monegasque man, appeared before Monaco’s criminal court on Tuesday in connection with the attempted killing of his former partner during a violent domestic incident in April 2022. The case centres on the stabbing of the victim, who survived after suffering dozens of knife wounds inside the couple’s apartment at the Résidence des Mandariniers.
Facing the court for the first time after several years of judicial investigation, Mulini immediately acknowledged responsibility for the attack. Addressing the victim and her family without looking directly at them, he expressed regret and stated that he understood he would have to face the consequences of what had happened.
The first day of hearings focused heavily on the defendant’s background and personality. Court discussions explored his upbringing with adoptive parents, his reported difficulties coping with separation, and longstanding emotional instability linked to feelings of abandonment. The accused admitted he had always struggled with relationship breakdowns, a subject expected to feature prominently during psychiatric testimony later in the trial.
Investigators revisited the events of April 17, 2022, through testimony from police officers involved in the initial response. Officers described discovering the victim conscious but severely weakened inside the apartment, where multiple rooms reportedly showed signs of extensive bloodshed. Evidence presented in court suggested the violence may have unfolded over several hours before emergency services were contacted.
One witness statement referenced by investigators came from a neighbour who reportedly heard screams and distress calls early that morning but did not immediately raise the alarm, believing the noises were linked to arguments that had become familiar within the relationship.
The weapon used in the attack — described in court as a large family knife with a combat-style blade — was later recovered during a second police search of the property. Prosecutors also highlighted elements uncovered during the investigation into the defendant’s phone activity, including internet searches and messages sent from the victim’s phone in the hours before the attack.
A major point of debate throughout proceedings remains the question of intent. While Mulini initially spoke of a supposed “collective suicide” scenario during the investigation, prosecutors have continued examining whether elements of premeditation may have existed before the assault.
The hearing also featured testimony from several of the accused’s relatives and close friends, who painted the portrait of a previously calm and devoted man whose behaviour had shocked those around him. His parents, sister and longtime friends repeatedly described him as caring and non-violent, struggling to reconcile the accusations with the person they believed they knew.
Yet one family member offered a notably more unsettling perspective. His sister told the court she had long feared the relationship could end badly and admitted she was not entirely surprised by the tragedy when it happened.
At several points during the hearing, the accused appeared visibly emotional, particularly during testimony from his family. He repeatedly insisted he deserved punishment for his actions and acknowledged the lasting impact the case would have on both families involved.
The trial is continuing in Monaco, with the victim expected to testify during the next stage of proceedings.