The assassination seven years ago of Monaco property billionaire Hélène Pastor continues to send shockwaves through the Principality and along the entire Riviera.
It did not take very long for the main culprit to be taken into custody, Hélène’s son-in-law, the Polish businessman and Poland’s Honorary Consul in Monaco, Wojciech Janowski, who was found guilty of ordering the killing and sentenced to life in prison.
Hélène’s chauffeur was also killed in the ambush outside the Archet hospital in Nice as Hélène arrived to visit Gildo, who had suffered a stroke.
Each child received 500,000 euros per month from their mother, Monaco’s richest woman.
Now a court in Aix-en-Provence is considering an appeal, although given the strength of the arguments against Janowski it is considered to be very unlikely to be successful unless on an obscure legal technicality.
However, Hélène Pastor’s son Gildo has raised the temperature surrounding the case by hinting that more information is yet to see the light of day.
In an interview in Paris Match last week, he said that he was waiting for justice to do its job.
“There are still many things to say … That’s why I came from New York to hear them.”
After it was noted that he is not on speaking terms with his sister, Sylvia, Gildo said: “What matters to me is what the court will say. “
Sylvia, Janowski’s partner, was detained following her mother’s death but released shortly afterwards.
According to sources close to those who were treating Hélène for her injuries, who have spoken to NEWS.MC, she was expected to recover from her wounds, until she took a sudden turn for the worse and died on May 21, 15 days after the ambush.
PHOTO: Hélène Pastor and son Gildo, in a rare photograph Claudia Albuquerque