The increased number of coronavirus cases in Monaco at the end of last week, with eight new cases on Friday and 11 on Saturday, are the result of holidaymakers returning from Spain, according to Didier Gamerdinger, Minister of Social Affairs and Health.
He singled out younger people returning from Marbella who did not observe the required barrier gestures on their return.
Additionally, the more easily transmitted Delta variant has now become dominant in the Principality, accounting for 70 percent of new cases, the minister said.
He advised returning holidaymakers to get tested, and for everyone to continue to observe measures such as social distancing, frequent hand-washing and wearing a mask.
However, there is a clear link between falling ill with coronavirus and being inoculated. Mr Gamerdinger said on Sunday: “Today, we realise that those infected are those who are not vaccinated.”
On Friday, Monaco’s Government said that 59.9 percent of the population over 12 had received a first jab as of Thursday, July 8, while of those 88.37 percent had also received their second inoculation.
FILE PHOTO: Spanish Tourism Institute