On Saturday, November 25, Their Serene Highnesses Prince Albert II and Princess Stéphanie of Monaco visited the commune of Peille in order to mark the naming of an avenue in the town after Prince Rainier III.
On August 7, the Peille Municipal Council unanimously voted for Mayor Cyril Piazza’s proposal to name the artery that leads to the Monte-Carlo Golf Club ‘Avenue Prince Rainier III.’ Many personalities from Monaco and the Alpes-Maritimes were present during the unveiling of the inaugural plaque, in front of the entrance to the Club. This new name is highly symbolic since, in 1957, Prince Rainier III established his family’s second home in the town.
Very attached to Peille, he donated a organ, coming from the chapel of the Prince’s Palace in the parish, today administered by the archdiocese of Monaco, although it belongs to the diocese of Nice.
Relations between Monaco and Peille are old: they date back to the 12th century, when the Grimaldi had not yet established sovereignty in Monaco, and where Peille’s consuls had ceded their rights on the Rock to the municipality of Genoa. In 2019, in memory of ties strengthened over the centuries, LL.AA.SS. Prince Albert II and the Princess Charlene of Monaco unveiled the plaque of membership of the commune to the network of Historic Sites of the Grimaldis of Monaco, before solemnly receiving the distinction of citizens of honour.
Mayor Cyril Piazza is the current president of the French National Association of Grimaldi Historical Sites.
ORIGINAL SOURCE & PHOTO: Monaco Government Press Service