Monaco is giving emergency aid to the victims of the recent disastrous earthquake in Turkey and Syria “in response to the double emergency appeal of the International Federation of Cross Red and Red Crescent Society (IFRC) in the aftermath of the February 6 disaster,” the Government said in a press statement on Wednesday.
“The Prince’s Government has decided to support the Turkish and Syrian Red Crescent Societies. According to the IFRC, between 15 and 20 million people are affected by the disaster in the two countries. The provisional toll so far stands at more than 40,000 dead and according to the United Nations this figure could still double,” the Government said.
“The earthquake occurred in the middle of a very harsh winter, in some areas temperatures can be below zero, further weakening populations already very vulnerable. The funds allocated by the Prince’s Government are intended to provide emergency aid to victims supported by the Turkish and Syrian Red Crescent Societies, in the form of supplies (and) shelter, supplemented by food aid and access to basic health services.”
Contacted by NEWS.MC on the question of the monetary amount being provided by Monaco, we were told that the Government does not wish to divulge the figure (Le Gouvernement Princier ne souhaite pas communiquer sur le montant)
The Monaco Red Cross has already provided 100,000 euros to the rescue operation.
PHOTO: Turkish children, victims of the earthquake, in a temporary shelter Reuters