Just a few minutes after midnight on Saturday, January 1, a fire broke out on the terrace of the Villa Nenette in Monaco Ville. The flames were largely extinguished by those present before the arrival of the Monaco Fire Service within 15 minutes. A party was in progress at the time.

Five people suffered smoke inhalation and two of them were taken to Princess Grace Hospital for treatment.

Nine fire vehicles attended the scene and a number of firemen remained until 07:00 in the morning. During the height of the fire, thick black smoke was visible from Fontvieille.