Peter Sagan, three-time world cycling champion, has apologised ‘profoundly’ for an incident earlier this year in which he attacked a Monaco police officer.
“Regarding the news that appeared today related to the night of April 25, I wish to take this opportunity to convey my most sincere apologies. It was an ugly experience that made me think profoundly and draw valuable lessons. I am truly sorry for this incident which will not happen again,” he said on Facebook on Monday.
Sagan, a Monaco resident who is regarded as a national treasure in his native Slovakia, assaulted the police officer after being stopped while out cycling with his brother during lockdown. He had been drinking. He told the court in Monaco that he feared being taken to Princess Grace Hospital to be vaccinated.
He was fined 5,000 euros by Monaco’s Criminal Court, plus a further 100 euros for the contravention.
© NEWS sarl. Words and images on this site and in our daily newsletter Good Morning Monaco are protected by the Universal Copyright Convention unless otherwise indicated and must not be re-used, rewritten or re-published in whole or in part without the written consent of NEWS sarl, a Monaco company.
PHOTO: A repentant-looking Sagan on his Facebook page