Three more residents have tested positive for coronavirus, the Monaco Government said on Thursday, August 27. One more resident has been fully cured, and the total number of residents having tested positive and currently isolating at home has risen to 33.
Three people are being treated at the Princess Grace Hospital, including one resident, who is in intensive care.
Also on Thursday, the neighbouring Alpes-Maritimes department was placed in a red zone, having previously being classed as orange, as local case numbers have risen. This designation means that the local prefecture can – at its discretion – introduce local restrictions, such as ordering the closure of cafes and bars at 23:00. So far no new restrictions have been announced.
Speaking at a press conference alongside Health Minister Olivier Véran on Thursday, Prime Minister Jean Castex said: “The virus is circulating in all regions. In the majority of departments, the incidence has exceeded 10 per 100,000. However, there is a strong disparity. A number of departments have exceeded the threshold of 50 per 100,000, a significant threshold. We have taken the decision to register 19 new departments in red, bringing the total number of departments concerned to 21.”
The prime minister added that there had been an “indisputable upsurge of the epidemic” which “is progressing throughout the territory” with “39 positive cases per 100,000, four times more than a month ago.” Now is the time to take action, he added.
French schools are due to resume classes next week after the summer break.
PHOTO: French PM jean Castex Reuters