SYBAss, the alliance of 21 builders of very large superyachts, has said it has turned down an offer from Informa, the organiser of the Monaco Yacht Show, to cut exhibition costs for the 2020 event by as much as 30 percent.
The organisation had previously called on Informa to cancel the event, since a yacht show compromised by social distancing and other coronavirus health precautions would damage its prospects, it claimed. SYBAss has also criticised the show for not taking its members’ demands seriously and for being too distant and unyielding.
“We have not changed our minds,” SYBAss secretary general Theo Hooning told the Superyacht trade press. “The fact the MYS ignores the concerns of our members is problematic.”
Informa has said it will go ahead with the show, on a smaller scale and on a non-profit basis. A final decision on whether the show will go ahead is expected on July 20.
The Monaco Yacht Show is widely regarded as the world’s leading Superyacht event and it holds huge prestige for the Principality. The holding of the show this September would emphasise that Monaco is back in the business of hosting prestigious global events.