Monaco will host three Grands Prix next year, the Automobile Club said on Tuesday, May 19. Both the historic Grand Prix and the Formula 1 Grand Prix were cancelled this year due to the coronavirus crisis,, while the electric Grand Prix was already on the agenda for 2021.
Within the space of four weeks, there will be the 12th Grand Prix of Monaco Historique (from April 23 to 25), the Fourth Monaco ePrix (May 8) and the 78th Formula 1 Grand Prix (from 20 to 23 May).
“The organising committee of the Automobile Club de Monaco, after a feasibility study, internally, then with the agreement of the Monegasque government authorities, is very pleased to announce that the 12th edition of the Grand Prix de Monaco Historique, initially scheduled for May 8 to 10, 2020, will exceptionally take place from April 23 to 25, 2021,” the club said, adding that there had been numerous requests from competitors, partners and spectators to hold the Monaco Historic Grand Prix.
The triple series will be, the club said, “A great first for all of us.”
Christian Tornatore, general commissioner of the Automobile Club of Monaco, said: “The logistics part promises to be complex, of course , but not insurmountable. As a result, we will have to start assembling the circuit earlier than usual, at the end of February, rather than March 15. We will then integrate the technical aspects, on and off the track, that each discipline that we welcome requires. To do this, we rely on the experience and availability of all those involved to achieve our objectives.”
PHOTO: Raphael Belly, E-Garage